Wednesday, February 4, 2009

There are no more 9 to 5’s

WOW this economy thing has us all down right now and the fear is spreading like wild fire. Today I have more friends out of work than at any other point in my life. Many of these individuals are highly educated, were top performers within their respective companies, and even mentored me during my career. It’s left me asking myself, how do I keep my job? This question came to me several weeks ago and I began to watch those around me. I have come to the following conclusion; damn is our sense of entitlement as a country killing us.

Read my lips, there are no more 9-5’s! Last day was June 1, 2008 but many of you are still treating your job like it is 2005. Wake up, shake yourself, and begin to realize how fortunate you are to have a paying position right now. Begin to think about your job and co-workers in two groups; those who do and those who don’t. Those who do will remain employed (and most likely ascend the corporate ladder as companies scramble to find solution leaders) and those that don’t, well I don’t have to say it, you get my point.

Begin to over communicate with your direct report and if you can open a dialogue to your bosses boss. Champion your victories, take full accountability for your failures, play well with others and become a moral leader in your organization (never stop smiling, it goes a lot further than you think especially in a world starving for good news). Stop thinking about the clock and start thinking about your task list, it may call for your to work numerous extra hours over the next few months. These steps will insure that when/if deeper cuts come this year you are not on the chopping block.

For those of you still wanting to get home at 5 so you can walk the dog, cook dinner, meet for happy hour, or the other numerous excuses I hear from people working the 9-5 dream; don’t blame me when your dream becomes an unemployment nightmare. Once again, I told you so.

Are you part of the “do” minority or are you part of the “don’t” majority?!?


0 comments:

Post a Comment