Friday, February 6, 2009

Is Google Analytics really helping?

This past summer we ran several online campaigns for clients who were using Google Analytics to measure traffic and referrers. At work we use a third party company to serve our display ads and count clicks to clients websites. As we wrapped up the first month of the campaign we compared traffic reports and the difference was shocking. Google showed a 90-95% variance from the report provided by our traffic resource. This got me asking questions and I came across several blog entries that got me think, Is Google Analytics Cheating You? After reading this article it became clear that Google has been caught with its hand in the cookie jar but the reason I'm writing about it today (seven months later) is that the problem still exists. I have had multiple companies and clients over the past seven months expereince the same thing. Here is what I suggest, run two analytics programs on your site and match them up. If you see GA giving itself a ton of credit that the other analytics tool does not report, you to have been getting ripped off by Google! Sad day for me as I hoped that Google would stay well away from Microsoft waters but I guess that is the idealist in me. Shame on you Google, and even more shame for not fixing the issue when first reported this past summer.

0 comments:

Post a Comment